Open Source Software Engineer
Become an integral part of leading our open-source efforts.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
We are looking for an individual with proven leadership skills and a passion for open-source to lead our open-source efforts.
Open-source is vital to Roadie. Backstage
is an open-source service catalog created in Spotify. We rely on
Backstage and other notable projects from the open-source community in
our day to day operations. We want to share what we build and ensure
that we give back to the community. We are hiring staff dedicated to
making it better.
Roadie is a remote-first team working on
building Backstage as a service for engineers. We try to provide a high
level of psychological safety, a collaborative environment where we can
work on problems together and the ability to work from anywhere.
What does my day to day look like? 📅
- Contributing publicly to open source projects like Backstage
- Building and setting the direction for open source software for Roadie
- Be part of the Backstage community by taking part in discussions on discord and GitHub
- Aim to become a maintainer on the Backstage repository
- You get to collaborate with kind, talented engineers that used to work in Spotify and Workday
What is the offer? 💙
- This is an excellent opportunity to join a fast-growing venture-backed start-up
- We offer a competitive salary based on experience
- We provide a meaningful stock options package
- 27 days paid time off
- Working remotely with flexible working arrangements (fully remote position within Europe's timezone (UTC-1:00 - UTC+2:00))
What is the company's mission? 🤔
Roadie helps companies manage their internal services by making it easy to adopt Backstage.
Backstage is a service catalog which was created inside Spotify and has
been battle-tested in production since 2016. Every day, thousands of
Spotify employees use Backstage to do critical development and
We are a talented group of engineers who
experienced the problems of service sprawl first-hand and decided that
there is a better way. By unlocking the power of Backstage, we can make
software development easier, faster and more enjoyable.
What is the process? 📖
All applicants will receive a response within 3 days. We can't always be perfect, but we can be quick.
- Application. Click the big button below!
- Meet with the engineering manager, to see if we're a mutual fit.
- Technical interview
- Technical assessment which is broken up into two parts, a programming part and a system design part.
- A sample of writing for us to review, from your blog or something new.
- Culture-add interview
- Yes/No decision.
What skills would we like to see? ✨
- 1-3 years of software engineering collaborating within a team
- You are comfortable speaking to groups of people representing our projects
- You have been writing in React for at least 3 years
- You are comfortable working in the back-end
- You like to share excellent documentation or blog posts
- Ability to work and communicate in an online distributed environment
- A college degree is NOT required.
- Bonus: You maintain your own open-source projects
- Bonus: You are skilled at community management (or experience doing user support)
- Bonus: You have experience running applications in the cloud
- Bonus: You have familiarity with Kubernetes.
Requirement: Europe's timezone (UTC-1:00 - UTC+2:00)